Sunday, November 30, 2014

Solving a problem on assignment 3

I will now attempt to write out my thought process in solving problem 3 of assignment 3.

1. UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM 
Prove or disprove: 15n2 is in Ω (3x 2n).
I know that f(n) in Ω(g(n)) means that after a certain n, f(n) is always larger than g(n).
First I need to figure out if this statement is true or not, so for help, I decided to graph the two lines.

It was obvious that while 15x2 started off outputting bigger, 3* 2x eclipsed it later on. Which means that that the statement is wrong.

2. DEVISING A PLAN
I knew that in order to prove that the statement was wrong, I needed to prove the contrapositive of the statement, which is: c , B , n , n  ≥ B g(n)  < c f(n).
With a little help from the hint from the question, I figured out that I need to use limits and l’Hopital’s rule to prove using the definition of a limit that g(n) < c f(n).

3. CARRYING OUT THE PLAN
I start out my proof as usual, assuming the ∀s.
Assume c + and B .   

I want to show that the limit as n → ∞ (15n2/3 x 2n) is zero which would prove that the denominator, 3 x 2n is exponentially larger than the numerator (15n2), thus making the claim that 15n2 is bigger than 3 x 2n false after a certain n.
Let L = limn → 15n2 / 3 x 2n
Then L = limn → 30n / 3n x 2n-1         # L’Hopital’s Rule
Then L = limn → 30 / 3n2 - 3n x 2n-2     # L’Hopital’s Rule Again
Then L = 0     # 1/∞ = 0

Now I will write out the definition of a limit, and note that because c and ε are both +, we can make c = ε.
Then n0 , n , n n0 L - c < 15n2 / 3 x 2n < L + c    

Since L = 0,
Then n0 , n , n n0 15n2 < c (3 x 2n)
Let n0 be such that n , n n0 15n2 < c (3 x 2n), and n’ = max (B, n0)

Since B and n0 are both ℕ:
Then n’
Then n’ B        #By Definition of max
Then 15n’2 < c3 x 2n’     #By the lines above, since n’ n0

Now let 2 functions g(n’) = 15n’2, and f(n’) = 3 x 2n’
Then n’ B g(n’)  < c f(n’)    # intro, g(n’) = 15n’2, and f(n’) = 3 x 2n’
Then n , n B g(n)  < c f(n)    # intro
Conclude c , B , n , n B g(n)  < c f(n)     # intro

I have now proved the contrapositive, thus disproving the original statement.
4. LOOKING BACK
Let’s check the answer by observing the 2 functions at xs with high expected y, say x = 10:
15(10) 2 = 1500.
3(2)10 = 3072.
And x = 11:
15(11) 2 = 1815.
3(2)10 = 6144.

So it is obvious that 3(2)10 is NOT the lower bound for 15(10) 2 because 3(2)10 is obviously growing at a much faster rate than 15(10) 2.
Although there may be other solutions to solve this problem, I think this method, using limits is the easiest and cleanest method.





No comments:

Post a Comment